Monday 10 December 2012

St Andrew Christmas Novena

MollyMakesDo
I am praying the St Andrew Christmas Novena this Advent for the first time. This Novena is unlike other Novenas, it is not prayed 9 times over 9 days. This Novena is 15 times a day from the Feast of St Andrew on November 30 every day until Christmas Eve i.e 600 times over 25 days. That's a lot.

I needed a way to keep track of how I was praying. In doing my research I saw someone suggest praying five times at each meal but I wanted to pray throughout the day. A reason to stop in all the busyness and craziness that is this of the year to intentionally pray and spend time with God. Using my rosary chaplet wouldn't work, I thought about scheduling times but that would have defeated what I wanted to achieve plus since I am on leave I go to the Blessed Sacrament Chapel after Mass and I don't think my alarms would go over well.

I thought about knots, although I still have no idea how I would have pulled that off. Finally it came to me, safety pins. I'm a little dense so I think sometimes God has to hit me over the head a few times. Everyday I sit at my desk I see the pins hanging on the grate of my desk where I keep papers. I keep some pins on my bedside table that I must have dropped a dozen times while trying to figure out a way to keep track. So I drop the pins yet again for no reason and as I pick them up I notice that they are interlocked and the light bulb went off.
I  attached the string of 15 pins to the underside of my top, I usually wear a cami under all my tops so I don't have to worry much about flashing someone when I move the pins. Every time I pray the novena I move a pin over to the blue stitch marker which I also attached to the underside of my top. The pins are always on my as a consistent reminder to pray and fingers happen upon way more often than I thought it would.

The St Andrew Christmas Novena

Hail and blessed be the hour and moment at which the Son of God was born of a most pure Virgin at a stable at midnight in Bethlehem in the piercing cold. At that hour vouchsafe, I beseech Thee, to hear my prayers and grant my desires. (Mention your intentions here) Through Jesus Christ and His most Blessed Mother.






6 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up with us! We are memorizing the St. Andrew prayer this year and hopefully we'll actually follow through with doing the whole novena next year. This year we're just saying it in the evening as part of our Advent wreath lighting prayers. Loved your idea for remembering to pray!

    Haley @ Carrots for Michaelmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, it is a great link up and I am finding and liking new blogs as well as learning somethings and getting some thing to think about. Not that my opinions matter but I think it's great that your kids are learning this novena now, I never really had any Advent traditions growing up so sometimes I feel at a loss. Thank you for your comment and for reading my blog.

      Delete
  2. Wow - what an amazing Novena! I did my first one this summer to help break the drought in our area. We received rain once a week for over a month starting on the day/day after I finished a Nine Day Novena to St. Jude. I think I'll have to remember this one for next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a great novena. Thank you for sharing your own testimony about your St Jude Novena.

      Delete
  3. What a clever way to keep track of the prayers. I have always found the St. Andrew novena intimidating just because of the number of prayers - it's inspiring to hear about your experience praying it this year. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I was a little intimidated in saying it myself that's how I ended up racking my brain trying to figure out a way to keep track. I though of the Rosary a lot before it came to me. Try praying it next year.

      Delete