Thursday 14 February 2013

Valentine's Day Is Not A S.A.D Day

In recent years I have noticed Valentine's Day being referred to as Singles Awareness Day aka a SAD day.

As a single woman I do not need a holiday to make me aware that I am single. But most importantly Valentine's Day isn't a day to celebrate coupledom it is a day to celebrate love and I don't need to be in a romantic relationship to have love in my life. In fact if my life lacked love because I was not in a romantic relationship then not just the day but my life would be SAD.

Even if you live on a remote island all alone you are in at least one relationship, the relationship you have with God. God is love, He made us to love Him, He loves us. Hello we're in Lent, a time in the Liturgical Calendar that embodies love, a time that culminates in the greatest act of love just for you. So you're single and probably won't get candy this year, Jesus gave you an even better gift, He suffered and died on a Cross just for you. He thinks you're pretty special.

You're relationship with God isn't so hot, that's okay, as I said we're in Lent a great time for strengthening and building that relationship. Try praying daily, God wants to hear from you, he's been waiting to hear from you, just like the father in the prodigal son he's already racing to greet you. Confession, this is the best time of the year to get to confession, there really is no sin that the priest has not heard before it doesn't matter how long it's been since you've gone.  I had a period of years before I started going monthly

Once again I mention that it's Lent, The Church has a wide array of activities and events to help you build and strengthen your relationship with the Lord. Day retreats, Friday Stations of the Cross, Adoration, bible studies, Friday fish fries, check your local parish for what else is available, check your neighbouring parish to see what they have available, invite a friend to go with you.

So if you are single like me this Valentine don't be S.A.D, focus on the relationships that you do have especially the one with Our Lord.

Happy St. Valentine's Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment