Tuesday 19 February 2013

Lenten Cooking: Spinach Egg Cups

I borrowed this recipe from Stacey and I made it my own.




1 Dozen Eggs
1 Cup of Heavy Cream (milk, half & Half are all fine)
I left out the salt because some of the other seasonings I used had
Frozen Chopped Spinach (3 or 4 balls thawed, drained and squeezed dry)
1/4 Cup Grated Cheese (I used what I had pepper-jack and cheddar mix)
a combo of seasonings that I like




I didn't turn on the oven to pre-heat until there was about 5 minutes more to go i.e before I started filling the muffin tins but after I had added all the ingredients.

Make sure that your spinach is squeezed of all it's water ( I often see Rachael Ray using a tea towel although I just used my hands). Add it to the eggs in a large bowl and the cream, seasons and cheese mix well, you want the cheese and spinach as distributed as possible.





I used cupcake paper in my tins and a 1/4 measure to fill the cups with the egg mixture. I got 18 cups. Bake for 25-30 minutes in a 325 oven, if you are using a convection oven you will of course reduce the time a little. They are done when the top are no longer wet and a knife or toothpick inserted comes out clean.






These things are delicious, I had 5 right our of the oven, it started with three (one from each tin to test for quality control and all that) and then I decided it made good sense to finish off the other 2 from the tin with 3 so they would feel odd.



 The 3 were baked in the convection oven, forgot to reduce the time. Tasted just great, we're actually burnt.



They freeze well just ensure they cool properly before putting them in ziplock bags and into the freezer. I've had a few reheated, just as great.

Great Lenten snack, or even breakfast for dinner with some waffles or pancakes as well as for a quick breakfast.








5 comments:

  1. What a great portable breakfast idea! I'll have to make some of these for the hubby to take for work! Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Two minds think a like I saw a similar post on pinterest earlier this week I want to make. Thanks for Linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I started off by pinning Stacey @ catholicandcrunchy's recipe and then I saw a few other's on pinterest then just mixed, matched and added until I got a recipe I could work with

      Delete