Saturday 28 September 2013

Peach BBQ Sauce

Sometime mid last week as I was doing a mental inventory trying to decide what to cook on Sunday I suddenly got a craving for BBQ ribs (we had ribs) but I have a love/hate relationship with store bought BBQ sauce. Thankfully I was eating peach and inspiration hit, I had made peach bbq sauce a few years ago but like with most of my spur of the moment cooking I didn't have a recipe.

Pinterest and google only yielded recipes for huge amounts which I didn't need so like I do for a few of my other spur of the moment cooking I took note of ingredients, ratios and the like and decided to do my own thing but this time write down the recipe (that was the hard part).

Many recipes called for tomato sauce, I had diced tomatoes. Some called for mustard I had a honey Dijon. All called for vinegar, some said apple cider, a few white, a couple red wine, I used apple cider. Of course the peaches.



I usually keep tomato sauce and diced tomatoes on hand but I was low on tomato sauce and I didn't want to have to buy anything. I highly advice using an apron when making this, splatter is not avoidable.

Peal and dice the peaches (blanching for a few seconds can make that easier), I used both peaches minus any lost due to quality testing. Put the peaches with the diced tomatoes into a blender and blend well. Pour into a good sized pot, go a size bigger than you think you will need (learn from my mistake).
Add about a half cup of water and put on a medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of brown sugar to start and stir gently. Add mustard (1 tablespoon), seasonings (I used a little ground ginger and all purpose seasoning), I didn't add salt but if your other ingredients are salt free I suggest adding a little. Half cup of apple cider vinegar (use 3/4 cup if your like your sauce a little tangier) Stir to incorporate ingredients and allow to come to a boil.

Here is where you take your first taste, if you like a sweeter sauce add a tablespoon or more of brown sugar (remember you can always add but you can't take out so go slowly). Want it tangier add the apple cider vinegar by the tablespoon from now on do not add more that a quarter cup. Stir and allow some time between additions.

Add about 4 tablespoons of ketchup, this will help thicken your sauce and add and extra tomato flavour. Stir and bring to a violent boil. Reduce heat and allow to continue cooking for 20 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.




If you are bottling it for later use, or using now allow to cool a little and then enjoy. Can last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator if you can keep from using it all up before then.

I got about 4 cups worth. I used some on my ribs as well as some for pouring. The remainder I bottled for later use.



I need to learn how to can now so I can start making big batches to store.

Recipe

1  14.5 oz tin diced tomatoes
2   Peaches (peeled)
2   tbl sp brown sugar
1/2  cup water
1   tsp mustard
1?4   cup apple cider vinegar
4    tblsp ketchup
seasonings of choice to taste

Blend the tomatoes and peaches and pour into an appropriate sized pot. Add water and put on a medium heat, add brown sugar and stir gently. Add mustard, seasonings, apple cider vinegar. Stir to incorporate ingredients and allow to come to a boil.

Add more brown sugar or apple cider vinegar to taste by the tablespoon. Add ketchup and stir completely, bring to a violent boil then reduce heat to low. Cook for an additional 20 - 30 minutes, remove from heat, allow to cool, use as desired.


I'm linking up with Bobbi over at Revolution of Love for her Pinterest Party and Link-up, head on over and check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment