Tuesday 1 October 2013

Not Alone Series: Careers As A Vocation

(How do we know what God's call is for us if we are focused on our careers? Is it appropriate to focus on that career and then get married/enter religious life later? Or maybe the call/vocation IS the career and you could be single?)



I have three friends who are in their last year of Seminary, one was a very successful lawyer who struggled for a while before deciding on the priesthood. Another was a teacher who had thought about it then dismissed it. The last one had the fastest route to his vocation. I can't really speak for all of them but for at least one I know he would not change anything about his journey.

I believe that we are to live our spirituality, seek God's Will and listen to His voice wherever we may be at the moment. God has a plan for all us but part of that plan is not sitting around worrying and wondering what that plan is.

Moses was a prince and then a shepherd minding his own when he heard the Lord. Samuel was a boy asleep when God called him. Therefore I could be knee deep in spreadsheets if I live my life prayerfully and attentive to God's Will I am unlikely to miss His call for me.

A career just may be the path to your vocation. I want to be a wife and a mother, but that may not be what God wants for me. Or if my career could be my training ground for being the type of wife and mother that I will need to be. We can't constantly be worrying about what is not ours to worry about, we can pray and seek advice but we can't constantly let the "what if" and "maybe's" paralyse us from fully living our lives.

When I started working, I loved it and happy envisioned myself as a working wife and mother. It was different from how I grew up since my mother stayed home but I thrived as a working woman and couldn't see myself not working. Now I can easily see myself as a stay-at-home wife and mother, the transition would take some getting used to since I still love working. I know that what ever I end up being God will give me the grace to live it out.

So how do we know God's call for us if we focus on our careers? Pray, listen, trust.

Want to know everyone else's thoughts on this topic or share your own then head over to Jen's for the link-up

No comments:

Post a Comment