Tuesday 8 October 2013

Not Alone Series: Fave Recipes.......For One

Fave Recipes... for one!
(ok, or a small crowd!)




One is such a lonely number.

I love to cook and I have been cooking for just one and sometimes two (I live with my sister) for a while now and I am not the biggest fan of leftovers. Therefore I have mastered the art of single cooking, unfortunately I don't measure or re-write recipes when I make changes.

I do have a few tricks that I like to employ like this nifty chart for reducing a recipe

There are some recipes that cannot be reduced using this chart like choux pastry (learnt that one personally) or some cakes but as far as I know everything else is fair game.

If you don't measure like me but rather cook by sight, smaller cooking tools are great for helping to make smaller amounts.

I use that baking dish to make fruit crisp/cobblers as well as small cakes, souffle for one. I also have a small baking sheet, muffin/cup cake tin and a couple other baking stuff. I have regular sizes too but the small ones are great for when I want to make just enough.

"Re-purpose" your leftovers. Leftover rice then make fried rice, you can use any vege or meat (shredded or diced) along with it too. Leftover pasta, maybe try a cassetole. Meat and veges, try tacos or a wrap. Just because you eating the same thing twice in the same week doesn't mean you have to eat it the same way.

I like this cheese souffle, I made it and it's not too complicated just precise. It's kind of fancy without being difficult. It's perfect for one.


I make fruit crisps all the time for an easy desert, frozen fruit of choice, sugar (or sweetener of choice), oatmeal, butter. Mix about a cup or 2 of fruit with 1 tablespoon of flour(for thickening) and about 1.5 tablespoon of sugar (more if you like sweeter), pour into baking dish. Mix oats with butter (1.5 tablepsoons), a sprinkle sugar then spread over fruit mix. Bake in a pre-heated 350 oven for 30 minutes. Enjoy.
 either or not both


These Spinach Egg Cups freeze well and are great if I do say so myself.

See what everyone else is cooking, see Morgan for the link-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment