Tuesday 3 September 2013

Not Alone Series: Peace

"Beside restful waters he leads me." This week we are looking at "What brings you peace? Are you able to do those things? If not, what's preventing you?" inspired by Jen's post on following the peace.



A couple years ago I was at work when I found out my grandfather had died, I was very upset practically inconsolable. I remember my boss (he's Catholic) telling me to find my peace in my Faith. I remember spending everyday of my leave in front of the Blessed Sacrament after Mass including the morning of the funeral. There were days that I had nothing really to say I just sat there knowing that it was okay. I found peace just sitting in the Presence of my Lord.

I try to get to confession at least once a month, there are times I miss because of traffic after work and I just don't feel like asking Father after Mass or I don't want to come back the next day so I wait a week. Sometimes even at the 3 week mark I get restless and irritable. There is nothing like hearing "I absolve you from your sins in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" to bring back my feeling of peace.

I also find peace in writing. I have never been much of a talker and as a child I internalized everything, I had a hard time letting myself get angry or upset even though the feelings stayed. I do not remember who it was that got me writing but it definitely helps me get my thoughts and emotions out and I can take a look at it if I need too though most times I just need the outlet to help me feel at peace again..

Prayer also helps me find peace. Talking to God, talking at Him, talking with Him, I sometimes I do all three in one sitting and in any order. Eventually I will get to the point where I can give it up to Him knowing it will all be okay, find my peace. This past Friday as I was driving, stuck in traffic feeling very unsettled (only slightly due to the traffic) and I suddenly found myself praying, well first I started out negotiating but eventually I found peace with something that has been on my mind for over a week.

I will also say music because Friday started because of a song I heard in the car and everything just took off from there. There has definitely been other times when music has lead to me finding peace.

If I let myself, peace is not usually hard to find and I know where to find it. However I can be stubborn and hold on where I know I should let go so at times it can take a while.

Check out what everyone else has to say about finding peace, visit Morgan for the link up

No comments:

Post a Comment