Tuesday 30 July 2013

Not Alone Series: Favourite Resources

"For this very reason, you must make every effort to support your faith with goodness, and goodness with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with endurance, and endurance with godliness" 2 Peter 5-6



This week we are sharing resources that have helped us during this time of our life. Books, songs, prayers, devotions and the like so here goes....

Songs
Music that really encourages me during this season of life are those that remind me that God is still there, even in the mess, despair, confusion and hopelessness that I may feel. That God is God and that never changes. Even If by Kutless is one that I love for this, Praise You In This Storm by Casting Crowns is also a great song for when life feels too much and NOTHING is going the right way.

Not For A Moment and Worth It All both by Meredith Andrews because in the present when you stand by your convictions and you feel like the one losing these two songs are like a gentle reminder than you aren't the loser.

Books
Number one on my booklist is my bible. I have four in real book format and a few on my phone so I always have God's word with me. My top two are my Catholic Women's Devotional Bible (CWDB) and The New Jerusalem Bible. My CWDB is like a devotional and a bible in one, I love the layout and the various devotions inside. There are "Tradition" article that provide little shorts of Catholic Traditions and practices like The Eucharist, The Saints, Purgatory, The Mass and The Crucifix, there are 50 in all. There are 52 "stories" of various women in the bible the named ones like Elizabeth, Martha and Ruth as well as some unnamed ones like the widow with the two coins. We get to look at their character, sorrow and joy as well as pray with them, I haven't gone through all of them but I like what I have see so far.


Theology of His/Her Body by Jason Evert, this is actually geared primarily to a younger crowd but I've had it for a while and I loved it. It has made the rounds with my friends and a few of their friends as well.
Woman in Love by Mark and Katie Hartfiel, I am currently reading this one but I feel good about recommending it before I finish it and would probably have finished it already but I am taking my time through it.
Real Love: Answers to Your Questions on Dating, Marriage and the Real Meaning of Sex by Mary Beth Bonacci
Fill These Hearts: God, Sex, and the Universal Longing by Christopher West

Prayer
I pray daily for myself and my future husband as well as our future life together. Whatever I pray for him I also try to pray for myself because as much as I want to receive, I also want to give. I pray for his relationship with the Lord, his relationship with others. I pray for his Faith, his character, his patience, his friends, his family. I pray for his day, for his prayer life, the time he spends with God. I pray about getting to know him and him getting to know me. I pray for temperance, that neither of us will run ahead of ourselves to start picking our china patterns before we know each other's favourite colour.

The Rosary - I pray the rosary daily, the intentions vary but I find great comfort in this time. Amanda over at worth of agape had a few devotions/thoughts on relating the rosary to life that I really liked. I have adjusted and tweaked to fit my own life and circumstances but they are great just as they are.

Novenas and prayers to the Saints - I have my favourites and not all of them are specific to the single life or praying for a future spouse but I still like them. St Therese de Lisieux, St Martha (there is a 9 Tuesdays novena that I really like), St Joseph, St Philomena, Bl Anna Marie Taigi, St Raphael, St Anne and St Teresa of Avila.

Other Resources
I have found some really great advice and encouragement by reading blogs. Single, Catholic bloggers who are going through the same things I am in some way. Married bloggers who have seen it, done it and lived to tell the tale. This series, the Not Alone Series has been a source of encouragement, support and a wealth of resources.

See what everyone else has to share, check out Morgan's blog for more from the Not Alone Series



No comments:

Post a Comment