Tuesday 6 August 2013

Not Alone Series: Inferiority vs Inspiration

"The LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry, and why has your countenance fallen? If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is lurking at the door; its desire is for you, but you must master it." Gen 1:6-7

This week on the Not Alone Series we are looking at Envy and Singlehood. In one of my devotionals envy is described as counting someone else's blessings. It is very easy to ask "what about me?", "when is it going to be my turn?", to feel like you are not worth it or God has forgotten you. "How did they deserve that more than I did?"

You see all those girls that are never without a boyfriend. Your 21 year old neighbour gets married and has her first baby less than a year later. The friend who has always been in the same boat as you gets married and you still don't even have someone to hold your hand. It is very easy to feel inferior to everyone else who seems to have everything we want. To feel angry about those who are being blessed with the husband and the kids all the while living contrary to the way God has asked us to.

Cain killed Abel in a fit of jealous rage. Joseph's brothers sold him into slavery.

How about feeling inspired? Yes I want to cry when another friend says she's getting married. I wonder what she did right and I didn't but instead of dwelling on that I can Thank God for a new, beautiful witness to family life. I can pray for the road ahead of them because one day God willing I will also be on a similar road and I would love for someone to pray for me.

I am not quite there yet but I am working on closing that door that envy opens and sin lurks behind. It is not always easy. Dante says it is a rare person who loves enough to rejoice in all goodness whether he or she benefits directly or not. I've always wanted to be unique so I am working on practising that happy attitude.

Want to know what everyone else had to say on the topic of Envy and Singlehood then visit Jen for the link up.

No comments:

Post a Comment