Tuesday 18 June 2013

Not Alone Series: Prayer

1 Thessalonians 5:17 encourages us to "Pray without ceasing." I would like to believe that I do that though I know I don't do it perfectly.


I cannot honestly say that I wake every morning thanking God for seeing me through to another day, I am thankful but I usually get up lamenting that morning came so soon (cause I know I only closed my eyes 5 minutes ago). I am a morning person, at least once I'm up. I get up at about 4:10 to 4:30 to get my day started and once I am over my waking grumpies and in the midst of my getting the day started I do say a quick prayer. However to get my day started I usually turn on Ave Maria Radio which has the Chaplet of Divine Mercy at 5 a.m, then a meditation followed by the Rosary at 5:30. I am out of the house by 6:15 with a prayer as I get behind the wheel of my car.

I have morning Mass at 6:30, the ultimate prayer. Daily Mass has been part of my life for a few years now and I can definitely say my day is better with it. Daily Mass was something I just fell into, the Holy Spirit was at work big time. For months I told myself I would try to make it to morning Mass but never did, then I said I would go Fridays only and for a long while I didn't then one day I just did. I didn't plan it, I just woke up that morning got ready as usual next thing I know I'm at Mass. I ended up running into a friend, she sat across the isle from me so after Mass we started talking and then I was telling her I was trying to transition into morning Mass. Now I live really close, she doesn't, while I leave home at 6:15 and can get there in less than 10 minutes and I drive, she had to leave home before 5 to catch a bus. Monday morning I was at Mass again and have been going ever since.

I have a scheduled time for evening prayer every single day, it is usually an hour but at times it can go a little longer especially during Advent and Lent. I have that time scheduled and blocked off otherwise I will always find something else to do and never have time to pray, so I guard my time with the Lord. Yes there have been times when I have had to make adjustments but I try my best to make it up. Now that I have it on mp3, I can prayer the Rosary as I drive home if I have plans for the evening that will disrupt my schedule.

Speaking of schedules, Jesus and I have a date every 1st Friday of the month for Adoration. I know that time belongs to Him so anytime my friends ask me I always say that I'm busy. It is not always easy but I love that time with Him and it has done so much for our relationship that I cannot abandon it now. I also love spending time in front the Blessed Sacrament every chance I get.

Novenas. I love novenas, I have prayed the 54 Day Rosary Novena with friends, they helped keep me accountable and to keep going. That's one of the reasons I love pray more novenas (not who I did the 54 Day with), they email you the novenas everyday along with daily reminders. I also pray novenas on my own, besides the 54 Day I also like St. Therese de Liseux, St. Martha (9 Tuesdays) and St Raphael.

I listen to mainly christian contemporary music so I can keep myself in a prayerful mode. Don't get me wrong I still listen to other types of music but it really is easier to just talk to the Lord when my mind is already on Him.

Writing, I have been keeping a journal for a few years and it has been very powerful tool for me. My handwriting changes with my feelings so without even writing how I am feeling when I wrote something I usually know when I read it back. Going back to read and reflect on what I have written I not only get to see what I thinking but I get a glimpse of how I was feeling and note how those have changed, I get visual proof of God working in my life.

Community is also a great tool for me. I have a great group of real life friends but my online friends are also great for getting me praying. I have an online Catholic crochet group where we post our prayer requests, they also encourage me in prayer and I hope I do the same for them. I have another online group that prays together. I have started offering my Monday Rosary for the bloggers in this series. Having someone(s) to pray for and with has been a blessing in my life.

I think this is getting long so go check out what everyone else has to say. Morgan has the link-up this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment