Wednesday 12 November 2014

Not Alone Series: Feeling Down

What ways do you run to implore the Lord's help when you are struggling? Do you always spend time in Adoration? Do you dive into the bible? Automatically go to Confession? Could you be better? And what about those times when things are good and you are joyous? Do you still give the Lord your time?



"Come to me all who are weary and heavy-laden and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

I try. I really, really try. I'm not perfect at it but I try really hard and sometimes get it right.

Daily Mass, great for starting the workday. My job consists of 10 people asking for different things at the same time on top of regular deadlines and another 10 coming in right after for yet more things. Patience was not my go to virtue but since I've started going to Daily Mass I've noticed a change in my attitude. Patience is still not a perfect virtue but I'v learnt to take a deep breath and call on the Lord more often.

Adoration. I love Adoration and I'm getting good at getting there every week. I've picked a date and a time unless it's a life and death emergency I tell most people that I'm busy. Last year I thought about weekly Adoration but didn't see how I could fit it in. Now I try to get there more than once for the week if I can. Sometimes all I do is sit and many times that is all I need, an hour or so sitting with Jesus.

Bible. Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. I've read the whole thing at least once. I've pulled out verses that really touched me at the time and written some down, underlined others. I hate writing in books, really really do but my bibles are underlined, highlighted and scribbled all over. I just go out and buy a new one (different version) when I need more space. I have four so far but really only use two most of the time. In times of struggle I have my go to verses written all over the place and if I sort of remember one that I don't really know it I google the part that I remember and usually find the full verse. I repeat it to myself, I think about it, I pray it, I hold on to it to get me through.

Music. Sometimes I don't even want to think because even that is too hard so I just put on some christian music really loud and let it play. When I feel like singing along I know I'm feeling better. Surrounding myself with positive words and messages is so much better for me than the music I used to listen to, to match my mood.

I'm constantly learning new ways to run to the Lord when I'm struggling and the best time to learn them is in the good times so I'm working on doing these things all the time.

How do you handle your struggles? Do you remember the Lord in the good times? Leave a comment and visit Morgan for the link-up to see what everyone else is saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment