Tuesday 3 February 2015

Not Alone Series: Qualities in our Husbands

What are the qualities and characteristics that you are looking for in your future husband? We have talked about what we don't want, but it's good to have an idea of those things that are important to us. Discerning religious life? This applies to communities, as well!


I pray about various qualities I want in my future husband frequently. I add and subtract things as I grow and mature, as I listen to my married friends talk and as I notice little things in successful marriages around me.

1. Strong Faith. I need a man who has his own relationship with God. An active prayer life. Lives a Sacramental life including regular confession.

2. He is open t life, wants to be a father. Is patient with kids. Naturally playful with them. As per Natalie's list is able and willing to change a diaper.

3. Automatively handy. A.K.A knows what to do with a car. I have specific gas stations that I stop at because the attendants know me and fill up my car for me. I don't know anything about changing oil, batteries or tires. I am spoiled right now that I don't do those things for myself or have to remember when they need to be done and it may be selfish but I would like that to continue in marriage.

3. Intelligent. I'm not necessarily talking Phd but is able to have great conversations about a variety of topics.

4. Self-assured. I'm all for building up my husband but it shouldn't be a full-time job. He should have a certain level of confidence and security in who he is.

5. Dependable. If he says he is going to do something I want to know I can count on him. I understand that there may be the occasional situations that may be out of his control but I want to know that I can count and rely on him.

6. Tall. The average height for a man is 5'8, I'm taller than that

7. A little bit of a dreamer. Not necessary looking for a man who lives with his head constantly in the clouds or always chasing the next big thing but someone who dreams big or small and is not afraid to step out of the box every once in a while.

My list can get very long but I think these are the top ones. God might decide that I need a short guy who knows nothing about cars but I continue to pray about that.

What qualities are you looking for in a spouse or religious community? Visit Jen for the link-up and Morgan too.

No comments:

Post a Comment