Wednesday 16 July 2014

Not Alone Series: Summer Reading List

Share your favorite book recommendations! Beach reads, deep novels, anything! Share share share!


My not so secret love - books. I can spend hours upon uninterrupted hours reading. In fact my eyes adjust seamlessly to fading like if I am reading, only if I get interrupted to do I notice it got dark and then I can't read any more. My grandmother says I'm like a cat, also that I'll go blind and then what will I do.

Young adult fiction. My heart belongs in this section of the library, after a very deep book I need a YA or younger book to recover. Just something fluffy or familiar. This time of year I don't even need that excuse. This year I have Anne of Green Gables by L.M Montgomery in my sights. I love Anne, Gilbert, Marilla and Matthew. I love that the harder she tries not to get into scrapes the more she gets into them. Her imagination definitely rivals my own and I love a girl with a good imagination. I have read Anne of Avonlea but I've never read Anne of the Islands or Anne's House of Dreams and it would be great if I could get through some of those this year as well.

When Comes Spring by Janette Oke. There is actually a series by hallmark based on the book. It was an enjoyable read. It's the first in a series and I am actually looking forward to reading the others

Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis. I was having a discussion with a friend not too long ago about this book. I have found myself easily distracted alot lately, then I saw that my library had it available for digital lending so I decided a little catching up with Wormwood and Uncle Screwtape were in order.

A Broken Kind of Beautiful by Katie Ganshert. This is a christian romance novel but it is more than just the girl meets boy, girl and boy find themselves attracted, hates each then loves each, misunderstanding then making up to live happily ever after. I'm not saying that the book doesn't have some of that but it is so much more. The main character Ivy doesn't think she is worth much, she is a washed up model at 24 and is very damaged. Don't want to give away any spoilers but it was a good book.

Father, Forgive Me, for I am Frustrated by Fr Mitch Pacwa. I am only just starting this, it is my book for my flights and layovers. I got it mainly because I like most books by Fr Pacwa so when I saw it I thought why not. The tagline "Growing in Faith when you don't find it easy being Catholic" definitely caught my eye and I was sold.

Something Other Than God by Jennifer Fulwiler. Written by a fellow blogger. Great book, read it for the NAS book club and cannot wait to discuss it. I loved the flow of this book, I could genuinely see and recognise Jen from the blog in the book. I know many people are reading it but if you haven't get it.

Others on my to read list are:

The Prayer Box by Lisa Wingate

Where There's Smoke by Jodi Picoult

The Swan House by Elizabeth Musser

The Discovery by Dan Walsh

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult

The Memory Thief by Emily Colin

Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight

I am always looking for new authors and books to try so feel free to make suggestions.

What are you reading? See what everyone else is visit Morgan for the link up.






No comments:

Post a Comment