Wednesday 2 April 2014

Not Alone Series: Beginning of the Year Goals + Lent!

Remember our first post this year? How are the goals you set going? Regardless of how your goals are going, how are you utilizing this Lent to continue to strive for those goals?



In my first post I spoke about expecting more from myself. Seeing around the problems to the alternatives, the other way around. Remembering "with God I can scale any wall" Ps 18:29

I will say I have my good days and my bad days.

I am realising (not that I didn't know before) that the "with God" is super important. I can expect more of myself, I can look for alternatives, find them and try to do them but without God it's just hard and difficult and draining and downright discouraging.

By expecting more of myself I am learning to trust God more. I am praying more about the tiny things. I have always prayed about the big things, I have along the way learnt to pray about the little things but I never realised that there are tiny problems and situations that I usually tried to handle on my own. I'd get frustrated and give up.

I find myself now asking God to show me the way in some things that I would usually see as not worth the bother but I have realised can really dig at you and leave marks. It's easy to believe you can't if you say it enough times.

This is really helping me through Lent, my usual meat withdrawal and hatred of all things fish is absent this year. I am finding it easier to focus on my goal for Lent which is emerging at Easter looking more like Jesus instead of the steps that I have chosen to get me there. Laura wrote this great post "Which battle are you fighting this Lent" over at Ignium Today. I have been fighting the the wrong battle, so focused on the steps I missed the goal, in fact I usually forgot about the goal.

Expecting more of myself is not about learning to rely on myself knowing I can do it, it's about trusting God and relying on Him to show me the way.

What were your goals at the beginning of the year? Have they changed? Stayed the same but look different? How are you utilizing them this Lent?

Visit Morgan for the link-up, have your say and see what everyone else has to say.


No comments:

Post a Comment