Sunday 26 January 2014

You are Beautiful: A Fill-in-the-Blanks Poem

Laura over at Catholic Cravings wrote a really great poem for the NAS: Beauty topic this week. She also challenges us to fill in the blanks and write our own poem. I thought it was a great idea and decided to write mine as a post, it took me a while but here it is. Think about doing your own fill in the blanks even just privately.

I am beautiful.

I am beautiful because I am made in the image of God, who hears me when I call. I am beautiful inside and out, for He didn't just make my soul but my body too. All of me, body and soul, is His image.

I am beautiful because my eyes are bright and expressive, my fingers are long and strong: capable and nimble as I am.

And because I can fold my tongue.

I was beautiful when I climbed trees in my grandmother's backyard.

I am beautiful because my hair doesn't do what I want and my body has no curves.

I am beautiful like a good book on an ocean front balcony on a summer night.

I am beautiful when I smile.

I am beautiful when I receive Holy Communion and sit with Jesus in Adoration. I am beautiful when I laugh and when I mourn, when I pray the Magnificat, whispering my soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour to Him who is so beautiful.

I am beautiful when I wear my purple shirt and silver chain.

I was beautiful even when I did not see it. Though I've disliked what I see in the mirror, I was beautiful.

I am beautiful still.


I don’t know whether my eyes are doves behind my veil, or my hair like a flock of goats descending from Gilead. But in my own way, my own Nikki-way, I am beautiful. Perhaps, I am beautiful like an ornamental glass or like a tree in bloom.

I am definitely not beautiful because I am perfect. I am not perfect, inwardly or outwardly. I have flaws enough.

But I am beautiful.

For I am loved by God, and love is in my heart, and where there is love:

there is beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment