Tuesday 19 March 2013

Like Father, Like Son

Sometime ago I was watching my neighbour and his son walk up the street and as I watched I was astonished how much the son was like the father. The son in question here is 4 years old and the stood like his father, walked like his father and when his father stopped to do something he did it too. He wanted to be like his father.

There is not much about Joseph in the Bible but what their is says so much.

He is humble and submitted to the Will of God, after the discovery of Mary's pregnancy he was going to quietly divorce her and after the angel comes to him in the dream he didn't say anything but simply did the will of God.

He is a protector as the Holy Father indicated in his homily this morning. Once again in a dream he is warned about Herod's evil plan, he says nothing but instead does the Will of God by taking Mary and the baby Jesus to Egypt.

When Jesus was lost to them, Joseph went a day's journey back to Jerusalem with Mary and spent three days looking for him. It would have been easy enough to give up to decide it was not worth the effort. After this Jesus went down with them and was subject to them.

While Joseph was instructing Jesus in the trade of carpentry how much more would Jesus have gleamed about how a man of Faith and humility lived and loved.

Jesus was humbled and submitted to the Will of God, even unto death. In the His agony in the Garden of Olives, Jesus could easily have said that "this is too much" Father take away this cup from me because I can't do it. Instead He said "Not as I will".

Jesus protects us from the consequences of our own sins, he takes us away with His love and Mercy. A most fitting example would be the woman caught in adultery, but His dying on the Cross to save us from our sins is the greatest example of Jesus as protector.

Jesus comes for the lost, He is the Good Shepherd. He seeks the lost sheep and rejoices when we are found.



Prayer to St Joseph

 Oh, St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God. I place in you all my interests and desires. Oh, St. Joseph, do assist me by your powerful intercession, and obtain for me from your divine Son all spiritual blessings, through Jesus Christ, our Lord. So that, having engaged here below your heavenly power, I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of Fathers.
Oh, St. Joseph, I never weary of contemplating you, and Jesus asleep in your arms; I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine head for me and ask him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath. St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls - Pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment