Thursday 30 October 2014

Not Alone Series: Discernment Challenges

We all agree that discernment is challenging. Figuring out what the Lord is calling you to do with your life can be frustrating and exhausting. But, then add on lack of family support, cultural pressures, and your personal expectations... ugh. And, this isn't just in relation to vocational discernment, but general life discernment, too! How do you keep going? What helps you to push through? How can we encourage one another? What indicators have you experienced that lets you know you're going down the right path?





Most High, glorious God,

Enlighten the darkness of my heart,

And give me right faith,

Certain hope,

And perfect charity,

Wisdom and understanding,

Lord, that I may carry out

Your holy and true command. Amen.




I have been saying that prayer of discernment everyday for almost a year. I've had that prayer for a couple years but I've never given it much thought or anything but earlier this year it just stood out to me and I felt called to start praying it and I did.

Not all decisions happen that quickly. There are many times I would pray for or about something and I feel like God is saying yes but I hesitate. I ask Him if He is 100% sure this is right, maybe one more sign, a clearer one this time.

At some point in time after I've prayed and discerned and talked it over with whomever I trust to guide me in the right direction I have to make a decision, a choice. I need to trust that God has given me the "right faith" I have been asking for. I need to let go of the doubt and the fear, I need to trust.

Many times the choice will be the right one. Everything will work out and I'll see a clearer picture of where and why God is leading me.

Sometimes I'll make the wrong decision but that's okay. "In anguish he prayed more earnestly" Luke 22:44. That verse really caught me last week, many times when things go wrong I take the time to go over in fine detail what was and where I made my mistake.

What does Jesus do? He prayers more earnestly. So I'm trying to let that be my guide. If I make the wrong decision I can't just stop or give up. I need to pray more intently and earnestly. Pray for my next step. Discern my way out, around or through my current situation.

Discernment is a lifetime. How do you handle it?

Do you struggle with discernment? Leave a comment below and don't forget to check out what everyone else has to say. Visit Morgan for the link-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment