Tuesday 10 June 2014

I Wanted To Be Invisible

As a kid I was asked the question if I had to pick a super power what would it be, I always picked invisibility. My sister was made for the lights and centre stage I preferred the background, the dark corner, perfectly blended with the scenery. Still do.

Today's Gospel reading talks about we as Christians are the salt and the light.

Matt 5:14 says "You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hid."

A couple months ago one of the security guards at my job asked me if I was a Christian. I don't really have a relationship with this woman, I say good morning or what ever, I wish her a good weekend, some small talk on occasion. Nothing in-depth. When I told her yes she said "I knew it, you could always tell." I didn't ask her what she meant by that I thanked her because she really made my day that morning.

This last week I was having a conversation with a couple of co-workers, I've known both for less than a year but we talk regularly about a number of things so I would say we are fairly close. We are chatting about relationships one is married, the other is divorced but has a boyfriend and well I'm single. When I asked I said yes I would love to be in a relationship but basically I don't want a boyfriend just to have a boyfriend. One of them said she knew I was that kind of person from the way she has seen me act and heard me talk. She liked that I had standards.

I often think no-one notices me, that what I do or don't do doesn't make much difference to anyone.

I may want to be invisible. I may even act like it at times. However God has called us to be the salt and light of the earth. To not have our lights hid under a bushel basket but to shine before others.

We don't always know where our light may land, why or how but know that if you are living out your Catholic Faith you are shining for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment