Thursday 15 May 2014

Not Alone Series: If You were Called To The Religious Life

While most of us feel called to marriage, it is important to see the beauty in all vocations! If/when you were discerning religious life, which communities interest(ed) you? What do you see as the positives of that vocation?


In Secondary school when we had to write our career choices for the planning of career day one brave girl wrote nun. My whole class got a good laugh. I became friends with her after and I loved talking great ideas with her. She didn't become a nun but that was the first time the idea of choosing Religious Life became even an idea of a choice.

I believe that I have prayerfully and carefully discerned marriage as my vocation however since then I have been approached by quite a few people who I respect and value their opinion as to whether I had considered Religious Life.

My parish priest, who has known me through the end of my teenage years into adulthood. My current confessor, this man hears my sins on a regular basis. My first spiritual director, I also consider her a friend, who is a Dominican nun. A good friend who happens to be a Sister of Charity nun. These are the main ones.

Now each time I have been approached I have prayerfully considered but just didn't feel the pull or the desire but I have considered what kind of order would suit me. I love the idea of community. Working, praying and sharing with others.

I have always dismissed a cloistered order. I may be an introvert and may even enjoy filling my days with contemplative prayer but I just can't see myself cloistered away. The sister of one of the members of one of my church is a cloistered nun, I met her once when she visited for her mother's funeral, she permission. I like being in the middle of things if not the centre.

I can definitely see myself as a Sister of Charity, the sisters belong to my parish and I have been around them a lot. I love what they do, I especially love their habits. They work a lot with children which I know I would love. However they don't use technology, I love technology. I know that if God puts it on my heart to become a Religious Sister and even to choose Sisters of Charity I will be able to let go of all the modern things that love like cell phones, tablets, computers and television. It would be hard but I could do it. They may not have cars and their driver is not always available but those times I see them calling out the good in others as there is always a parishioner willing and able to give them a lift.

Now a Dominican nun I can definitely see myself there. Those were the nuns from my primary school and a few that I know personally. The ones I know personally work with children in an educational capacity, I would love that. Many also work in the church which I think I would also enjoy. Bonus, they drive and own technology.

There are discernment weekends every so often but I haven't been able to go to one. Part of the reason is fear but also they usually tend to fall on weekends that are heavily scheduled.

I guess until I marry Religious Life will always be a possibility.

Has Religious Life ever been a possibility to you? Have you ever considered on order over another. Visit Morgan for the link-up, see what everyone else is saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment