Tuesday 2 December 2014

Not Alone Series: Preparing The Way

Happy Advent! How do you prepare you heart, home, etc. for the coming of the Lord? Are there specific recipes or traditions you partake in? Share with us how you are making way for our newborn King!



I LOVE Advent!!!!! It's why I started my blog two years ago today on the 1st Sunday of Advent.

During Advent I like to stop and slow down which is kinda difficult in this very go season that is going on around me. Don't get me wrong I get my Christmas shopping done, I face the crowds, the inconsiderate parkers and bad attitudes that this season of joy brings out but I try not to get sucked into negatives. Christmas is not just one day and I need to prepare myself to enjoy it fully in these leading up.

This Advent I have set up my prayer corner complete with purple cloth. The purple walls are just a bonus.

 



Having an actual space to intentionally spend time in prayer that is dressed for the season gives me a reason to stop so I can spend some time with the Lord. I used to have an actual wreath for the candles but word to the wise when you live in the tropics do not pack away your wreath with your candles, it is not pretty 11 months later.

I am also praying the St Andrew Christmas Novena again this year. This is not a nine day novena. No, this novena is prayed 15 times a day from November 30 to Christmas Eve. I have prayed it for the last few years and I have found it very helpful in getting me to stop and set my heart on Jesus during the Advent season. I do not pray all 15 in one go, instead I prefer to pray it throughout the day to keep me in a prayerful spirit. Over the years I have used a variety of ways to help me keep track of the prayers. Pins, beads, stitch markers but whatever I use becomes a visible reminder to me to prayer and I love that. I also keep the prayer on my phone so if I look at my phone for some superficial reason I can also stop to pray.

I will be spending extra time in Adoration. Jesus is the reason for the season so why not spend some extra time with Him. I also want to be less selfish with my prayers, it's not all about me, so I'm also offering to pray for any intention that anyone may have (just leave a comment). I'm hoping for at least 3 days a week so I have lots of time to pray for all those intentions and still get quiet, reflection time and time to pray for my own intentions.

This is the last NAS post until next year (sad face) but don't worry we'll be back in 2015. So all the NASers hope you have a prayerful Advent, a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

How do you prepare for the coming of the Lord? What ways do you find to stop or slow down during this busy rush season to truly focus on what is important? Leave a comment telling me all about it.

Don't forget to visit Jen for the link-up to see what everyone else is doing. Be sure the watch the video at the end of her post!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment