Tuesday 4 February 2014

Not Alone Series: Chastity A Choice

Living chastely (not just abstinence) is a choice. Have you ever had to defend your choice to live out chastity? If not, why do you choose chastity?


Let's start with why I choose chastity - Love

I love God. As someone explained to me once, sin isn't just doing what is wrong, it's turning your back on God. I have a friend who makes a big joke of "living in sin" with her boyfriend (yes she proudly says it like that) and it breaks my heart everytime I hear her. Imagine how much more it hurts God. I cannot purposely hurt someone I love like that.

I love my future husband. Chastity is not something that is for before marriage only. Chastity is continued into marriage and beyond. Chastity is training me to be faithful to my husband, to have self-control. If I can't control myself now how will I be in marriage if my husband is in the military deployed months at a time, a doctor on call for long stretches, a business man who travels a lot.

I love myself. I respect myself. Also STDs are not my biggest reason for choosing chastity but let's face it they are very real. In Trinidad we are gearing up for Carnival and the slogan "respect your partner, respect yourself" is showing up again to promote "safe sex". The only safe sex is sex saved for marriage. I'm not going to quote statistics but "safer sex" as they are calling it now is a myth.

I have let go of fear and I'm learning to trust. In past situations after a guy has lost interest I would sometimes think "if only I had" maybe he was supposed to be... However I am learning to trust God that the person He has for me is not someone who loses interest because I don't do x,y or z.

"for God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather a spirit of power and love and self-discipline." 2 Tim 1:7.

I have never had to defend my choice to live chastely but I have gotten other people's opinion on it generally I'll be alone for the rest of my life. While I don't think that is true, and I don't really want to be single indefinitely, I'm okay with that (or at least getting there).

I choose chastity everytime with my decisions to how I act, what I read and what I view because I am more than a body that has no self-control.

Check out what everyone has to say about their choice of chastity. Visit Jen for the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment