Friday 20 March 2015

Not Alone Series: Challenge Time, Again!!

It's that time again! In the past, we've challenged ourselves to grow and/or take steps toward moving closer to our vocation. These challenges have come in all different forms! Trying online dating, getting more involved in our young adult ministry, and working on discipline have all been past personal challenges. What is one thing you want to challenge yourself to do that might help you along on your path toward God's will...or maybe just help you become more open to God's will?
Share what you're planning to challenge yourself with and why, then in 2 weeks we'll write on how this challenge went!!


It's been a while. I've started posts but haven't been able to finish them because life has taken over my life. I started my year busy and it continues to be busy. Work is unending and my ministries at church seem to be taking more and more of my time. I find myself often playing catch-up on Sunday.

I hate that.

A friend a few years ago "took back Sunday", she wanted her kids to know that Sundays were special and should be treated as such. They loved it and it has been even more beneficial to her. I want that. I need that.

So my challenge is to take back Sunday.



I picked up this book last Saturday and is part of the inspiration for my challenge. I am designing my Sabbath. What gives me rest or blesses me? What gives me anxiety and makes me feel rushed and un-rested. What helps me step aside from my day-to-day in order to embrace God, to recollect myself and to be acted upon by the Holy Spirit.

No laundry on Sundays, if I didn't get it done on Friday or Saturday then it can wait until Monday. No house cleaning, I can wipe down countertops as I go and do dishes but the bathroom doesn't need to be deep cleaned on Sunday.

Music. I used to listen to music all the time on Sundays, I need to get that back. Put on music as I go about my day, sing along maybe even bust a dance move or two.

Cook. I love to cook and bake and eat but I have been eating later most Sundays because I just need to get that one more thing done. Then I just throw something together quickly. Make real meals and eat on time. Use the good dishes. Make a desert. Try new recipes, I haven't done that in a while even before this year, it's something I used to try every few months and I miss it.

Prayer/Meditation/Devotion. I still pray on Sundays but right after I got home from Mass I used to take the first half hour to meditate on the readings and the homily and just spend that time in quiet reflection. Now I get home from Mass and most times I need to get something started and then I might do quick, broken reflection because time is running and there is so much I need to get done. I need that time back.

Reading. At least an hour every Sunday. Strangely enough I get more reading done during my busy week than I do on a Sunday. Mainly because I read during my lunch hour and any time I am waiting somewhere (I have at least one book with me at all times).

Community. I need to spend time with people that doesn't include Women's Group planning, retreat planning or conference planning. This one may be a little harder since we have a conference in July, retreat in September, I am the leader of my women's group so I need to and want to be available to the members. We also have two events in April, a vigil next weekend that is not all there yet and because of differing work schedules Sundays are some peoples only available day.

Life is just going to stop but this is a challenge after all so I need to intentionally and prayerfully commit to this.

How can you challenge yourself? How are you challenging yourself? Tell me in the comments and don't forget to visit Jen for the link-up to see what she, Morgan and everyone else is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment